There was a rise within the election of feminine presidents the world over in a clamour for gender equality.
A transparent instance is that of Vjosa Osmani who was just lately elected by the nation’s parliament as the brand new President of Kosovo with the backing of Prime Minister Albin Kurti and his Vetevendosje (Self-Dedication) occasion.
She received 71 of the votes from the 82 lawmakers current within the 120-seat parliament.
Whereas the president’s duties are largely ceremonial, Osmani will now be the commander of the nation’s armed forces and in addition function one of many nation’s high diplomatic representatives.
Kosovo, formally generally known as the Republic of Kosovo unilaterally declared its independence from Serbia on February 17, 2008.
Listed here are some information to find out about her.
1. Vjosa Osmani was born on 17 Might 1982 in Mitrovica, then part of SFR Yugoslavia.
2. She has 4 siblings and accomplished her main and secondary training in her hometown.
3. She has clear reminiscences as a youngster through the Kosovo Conflict of a soldier forcing an AK-47 rifle into her mouth after her residence in Mitrovica had been raided.
4. Osmani has a bachelor’s diploma in regulation from the College of Prishtina in Kosovo. She additionally has a grasp’s diploma in regulation from the College of Pittsburgh College of Regulation (Pitt Regulation)in 2005 and a doctorate in juridical science in 2015.
5. She has been a instructing assistant on the College of Pristina, a lecturer at RIT Kosovo, and a visiting professor on the College of Pittsburgh in her tutorial profession.
6. Osmani speaks Albanian, English, Serbian, Spanish, and Turkish.
7. She started her political profession in her teenagers, as an activist for the center-right Democratic League of Kosovo (LDK).
8. On 27 August 2009, she was elected chief of workers for then-president Fatmir Sejdiu. Osmani had additionally served as authorized counsel and international coverage advisor to the president.
9. She was a member of the Meeting of Kosovo for 3 phrases, and as soon as acquired the biggest variety of votes for a feminine politician in Kosovan parliamentary historical past.
10. She contributed to the Independence of Kosovo and in addition represented the nation in a case on the Worldwide Courtroom of Justice, the place she defended the legality of Kosovo’s independence.
11. Osmani was considered as a attainable prime minister of Kosovo by the LDK within the 2019 snap parliamentary election however misplaced the election to Albin Kurti.
12. She was eliminated as her occasion’s deputy chief on June 20, 2020, after the LDK chief, Mustafa referred to as for her dismissal. Osmani later give up the LDK altogether on 7 September 2020.
13. In 2020, she was appointed appearing president of Kosovo after President Thaçi vacated the publish in November after being charged with warfare crimes.
14. Osmani was subsequently sworn in for a five-year time period on April 4, 2021, changing into Kosovo’s second feminine president.
15. She is married to Prindon Sadriu, an worker of the Ministry of Overseas Affairs, and so they have twin daughters.